For decades—large scale media exposure was limited to big brands with large budgets for advertising and PR campaigns. But with the ever-increasing accessibility of web publishing on platforms such as blogs and social media, small brands—and even individuals—can gain access to mass audiences like never before. In what ways can you put this web publishing boom to work for your brand, while differentiating yourself in a content saturated world?
- Start With Strategy—Successful content marketing is not simply about pushing out weekly blog posts or posting to your Facebook page. It needs to be a well-orchestrated effort with a thoroughly documented strategic plan that connects with your audience at the cross-roads of 1. their interests and 2. your expertise for your audience to find it truly valuable and to build real brand engagement.
- Create a Detailed Plan—Form, Frequency and Focus are the three F’s that should be well-outlined in advance of publishing any content to your organization’s blog or social media platforms.
- Develop Quality Content—WIth content’s buzzword status reaching dizzying heights, we too often see companies posting content for content’s sake alone—forsaking thoughtful strategy and planning. Although regularity and consistency have value, the quality and relevance of the content you’re producing is far more important than the volume. Instead of over-sharing, offer unique insight based on your experience and expertise, while delivering it in a memorable manner.
- Let the Message Determine the Medium—Getting your message in front the target audience is one of the biggest challenges to making content marketing deliver ROI. Selecting the right medium and format based on the subject matter and audience is a key factor in how many targets it will reach. Is your insight best shared in a more robust whitepaper or does it have more impact as a visually rich infographic? Perhaps you can humanize your insight and bring it to life in a more dynamic manner through video. Whatever the format, being thoughtful in how you share your message is crucial to getting the best results.
- Analyze, Assess and Adjust—Don’t feel locked into your content plan simply because you’ve put it in writing. A well designed plan has checkpoints along the way that allow you to analyze and assess what’s working and then evolve it to fit what the metrics are telling you is working the best.